According to Law n. 555/1912 granted Italian citizenship by marriage to women only
It states that a foreign woman who married an Italian citizen before April 27th 1983 automatically acquired Italian citizenship.
According to Law n.91 of February 5, 1992
It states that the male or female (foreign or stateless) spouse of an Italian citizen may have the option to apply for Italian citizenship after he/she has legally resided in Italy for a minimum of six months, or if he/she resides abroad they will have the same option after three years from the date of marriage.
There are two procedures depending on the sex of the applicant and the marriage date:
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINALS
** United States certificates/documents must be an original, 'certified copy', 'long form' or 'full form'. Cannot be "certification" or "abstract" formats.
- These certificates/documents also need to be acompanied with an APOSTILLE from the Secretary of State of the State where it was issued.
- Then you must also have the certificate/document TRANSLATED to Italian.
Our Translation Services
FOR WOMEN MARRIED TO ITALIAN MEN BEFORE APRIL 27, 1983
- APPLICATION, with a copy of valid passport and valid driver’s license
- Affidavit of no divorce/separation
FOR MEN MARRIED TO ITALIAN WOMEN IN ANY YEAR AND FOR WOMEN MARRIED TO ITALIAN MEN AFTER APRIL 27, 1983
- APPLICATION addressed to the Ministero dell’Interno, Roma
- ESTRATTO PER RIASSUNTO DELL’ATTO DI MATRIMONIO issued by the Italian Town Hall (Comune).
The Estratto is only valid for six months.
*Please Note: Couples married outside of Italy will need to have their marriage certificate recorded in Italy by the Italian Consulate with territorial jurisdiction over their place of marriage. If they have not done so they must first present their certificate to the competent consular authority, requesting its registration in Italy, and after make sure to obtain the “estratto per riassunto dell’atto di matrimonio” from the Town Hall, before presenting their application
*Also Note: This may take several months, depending on the Consulate and on the Italian Town Hall
- PROOF OF RESIDENCY OF THE APPLICANT
- CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP OF THE ITALIAN SPOUSE (this will be issued by the Consulate of residence at the time of application).
- “CERTIFICATO DI STATO DI FAMIGLIA” issued by the Town Hall (Comune) in Italy.
*Please Note: This is only required if there are children under the age of 18 years old.
- “Police clearance” or “Certificate of criminal records”, issued by the Central Authority of each State that the applicant has been a resident of since the age of 14.
- F.B.I. clearance with finger prints form (in addition to the above certificate/s), with TRANSLATION to Italian (Our Translation Services).
- An applicant who has resided in Italy for a minimum of six months will also need to supply the following certificates/documents:
*Please Note: Police records must be dated no more than six months before your application.
- CERTIFICATO GENERALE DEL CASELLARIO GIUDIZIALE (Tribunale di Roma)
- CERTIFICATO DEI CARICHI PENDENTI (Procura della Repubblica presso il Tribunale competente per il territorio di residenza)
- VALID PASSPORT AND COPIES OF ALL PAGES CONTAINING PHOTOGRAPHS AND OTHER INFORMATION OF BOTH SPOUSES
*Please Note: The copy will be certified by the Consulate